BGG

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

NAAFA


I was thinking earlier tonight about how far the Size Acceptance movement has come along since I first discovered it in 1995. I found out about NAAFA which is where it all began. NAAFA is who we should all be thanking because they fight for our rights. They fight to pass laws again size discrimination and much more. Visit their site for details about what they are working on and how you can help out  www.naafa.org  They have an annual convention once a year to raise funds to keep NAAFA fighting the good fight for all size related issues. Back in the day the NAAFA convention was fun, informative, supportive, positive, and so much more. We would look forward to it all year long.

Things changed some where along the way as the years went by. The people weren’t as political anymore. The local dances all over the states were happening so you didn’t have to wait to have a good time once a year. The entire dynamic changed when the board of directors changed over the years. I still believe in size acceptance aspects of NAAFA. I however do not support their radical approach of being anti everything about weight loss surgery and any weight loss related topics.

It was a safe haven for the super size bbw and the men who loved them. There were lots of double standards inside of the community. The SSBBW’s would shun the midsize BBW’s. That is not size acceptance. I was guilty of that as well at the time. I would wonder why the smaller BBW’s even needed NAAFA. As the years went on I understood what size acceptance really means. Within our community there are way too many double standards. Now that I am no longer considered an SSBBW due to having weight loss surgery I see what the grass is like on the other side of the fence. I am damned if I do and damned if I don’t when it come to my weight loss. I was told that I mutilated my body by having weight loss surgery from former NAAFA members. I was no longer accepted and I was judged for making a life choice that was mine alone to make. I haven’t been to a NAAFA convention since 2007 or 2008. During the vendor fair I was questioned by more than one person as to why I had weight loss surgery. I told everyone that asked if you want to contact me and talk after the convention feel free. I just didn’t think it was the right place and it was to the point of being harassed by men who were upset that I was no longer the Moniquessbbw on the outside. I was the same person on the inside, but they don’t know me they just liked all of the fat.

In August of 2012 they are having their annual convention in Northern California. I have lots of old friends up there and we always had a blast when NAAFA was in the Bay area. I think I want to give it another try and go back to a NAAFA convention. They still do fight for our rights. I am a big girl I can handle the haters and guess what the weight loss surgery didn’t kill me and in March it will be six years. There you go people do live after weight loss surgery. Don’t hate just try and learn to accept even if you don’t agree. Lots more to come about the Size Acceptance community.

1 comment:

  1. Those were the good ole days! I was treated badly as well, but I pay them no mind. Only we know what we have to endure on a daily basis. Life goes on......:)

    ReplyDelete