BGG

Saturday, March 31, 2012

My Review of the San Diego BBW Bash 2012

The first San Diego BBW Bash was in March 2011. I was unable to attend but did hear good thing about the bash. This year I decided I wanted to check it out for myself . I signed up for the whole bash package and a booth at the vendor fair. I checked into the Crown Plaza where the bash was held. The hotel is a really big property. I was in the Aloha section which had a partial view of the pool. The court yard was a very tropical theme down to the carved statues and the open huts with tables. I found out about the pool side rooms from a friend who attended last year, so I reserved one. It wasn’t the best pool view due to a huge tree outside our balcony, but it did give us more privacy when outside. The rooms were clean and the bathrooms were big. The beds were comfortable and we had lots of extra room for clothes racks and nightly drinks with friends . There was three women in one room and we were very comfortable.

Thursday Night Event

plush

Thursday nights party was hosted by Club Plush from Las Vegas, NV. There was a lot of people who had arrived on Wednesday so the Thursday party was lots of fun. The DJ was just okay in my book. I didn’t hear any songs that made me want to dance, but there were plenty of others on the dance floor. Everyone seemed to be having a good time mixing and mingling. I met a complete stranger in the lobby and he asked if there was some sort of convention happening. I told him about the bash and he joined me and my friends at the party later that evening. I was waiting for my dinner order to go in the lobby from the Sushi restaurant when he introduced himself to me.You never know who you will meet. Every night from 8pm to 10pm while we were getting ready was cocktail hour. We had drinks with friends who would stop by and hang out before each party. We felt good and looked good for the first event. It was nice to be able to walk back to our room and just relax then crash. Or there was always the option to keep the night going at one of the many after parties. The people were all warm and friendly.

My friends from Sweden flew in for the bash

032a    036a

Friday Night Event
club catalina

We relaxed all day on Friday with the do not disturb sign on, nursing a good party night. We ordered food from an Italian restaurant that was kind enough to give my friend Stu menu’s for the bash. They delivered till 3am and sold pizza after each party so you could grab one and take it back to your room if you like. Good take out menus are a plus at any bash if you aren’t from the area and need food late at night. Around 8pm friends started to arrive at out room for drinks again, they came and went all day with little visits. When you make friends from past events it’s nice to see them again and hang out. Around 10 pm we went to the party. You can’t bring in your own drinks so we finished them outside the party then went in. If you know anything about hotel bars then you should know unless you’re in Vegas order a double or drink beer. If I wanted to drink juice I would order juice. I like a good vodka based drink with some sort of a kick. This is how hotels do it, they don’t pour freely like at a local bar. We found a table with a bunch of strangers and made new friends that night. I love meeting new people. Shortly after 11pm The Burlesque dancers were scheduled to perform. Kathy Hernandez the promoter of Club Catalina was our host for the evening. Her voice over the microphone sounded like nails on a chalk board and her DJ couldn’t mix to save his life. People were not happy with him, his music and the hostess at all. People were outside complaining about her DJ. If her DJ is any indication of how her parties are then we all know why no one goes after all these years. I have been twice and the club was dead both times. I ran into an old friend who told me they were banned by Kathy and had a drink thrown in his face at the Denny’s next door to where her regular parties are hosted. Really Kathy, can you afford to ban even one customer when the numbers are already so low? Next time you need to be more selective when it comes to laying claim onto a customer who just wasn't into you. At least now you have a new boyfriend so hopefully the dirty looks and eye rolls will stop when you see that former customer. Never shit where you eat, not good for business. I know the DJ is your ex so that should make it easier to fire him and get a new one. You need to listen to the people ,they have spoken and spoken loudly. I highly recommend you make changes or just quit.

This is what the dance floor looked like while her DJ was trying to play. He has no idea how to mix one song into another. It was worse than AM radio. On a scale from 1-10, 10 being best, I give him a 3. Sorry DJ but it wasn’t just me. The people have spoken as well to the bash promoter.

dance floor 

This photo was sent to me by another friend who was suppose to meet me at her party in February. I was sick and couldn’t make. I was glad I didn’t drive three hours for this while being sick. He said there was six people there including the hostess and the DJ.

empty club (2)

I was so relieved when Scarlett VaVoom from Voluptuous Entertainment took over the microphone and started entertaining the crowd while we waited for the dancers.They were really good. The show was sexy and seductive without going over board. They’re hot, talented and sexy women. The Burlesque show was the best part of the night. I would see them again anytime.

scarlett   046a  v ent

Check out their site for the next show. The logo is on their photo. Thank you Scarlett and all of your dancers for a great show.



Saturday I was up at 8am to set up my booth at the vendor fair. I am not a morning person thank goodness I had help. Team MoMo was in full forced and dressed to sell. It rained all day long non stop. The after party Friday night went on till 4am so I didn’t expect to see to many people starting at 10am. The rain was no help either for the local people who would have come out to shop at the vendor fair. This was just an act of nature that impacted the sales for all of the vendors. I have no doubt that next year it will be off the hook. In 2011 the vendors had an extremely profitable vendor fair. The persistent storm and hangovers didn’t help us, but you never know how a vendor fair will turn out. It is what it is at the end of the day. The Team MoMo tank tops will be for sale at the next vendor fair during the Orange County Bash in May 2012. They will be redesigned with the logo centered. Thank you Team MoMo, I love you girls for sticking by my side. Shop on line at www.biggirlgear.com or like us on Facebook and shop on Facebook for select items on the page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/BigGirlGearcom/204611972911610

058a   promo1A

Saturday nights dinner was served from 6pm to 8pm. You had a choice of two salads, steamed vegetables, rolls, rice, potatoes, chicken and beef. Standard Hotel Buffett dinner with an assortment of cakes for dessert. I have been attending Bashes for over a decade. It was fresh and hot, but lacks the love I use when I cook at home. Then again that’s just my taste buds, everyone loved the food. I was disappointed that hardly anyone dressed for dinner. It was suppose to be a Simi-formal dinner. Not jeans and a T-shirt kind of dinner. I worked all day and still took the time to look my best when I dressed for dinner. I wish more people had made an effort to clean up and look their best. I changed after dinner into something I could party in. No one says you have to stay formal all night long, but two hours won’t kill anyone.

Dressed for Dinner.                                                 
061
 After Dinner, big difference.                 
  525337_354419464597531_188340867872059_957687_1488680053_n

The club night started at 9pm with DJ Skelly spinning all night long. He was the best DJ of them all. Not to mention he is my favorite DJ out there at these events. He knows what keeps the dance floor packed and everyone loves him. When DJ Skelly spins I want to dance, even though my knees won’t let me…lol. He plays music that makes you feel good and keeps the party popping. Everyone had the best time on Saturday night. More people kept showing up at the party It was packed. I would have to say the San Diego BBW Bash has the potential to become a great annual Bash in California. Every Bash has to start somewhere and the only way to make them grow is to attend and support the Bash. Help it grow by spreading the word. Take a chance and make a trip to San Diego next year to experience it for yourself. It can only get bigger and better if we the people make it so. I say it is worth the trip. Keep supporting legitimate Size Acceptance events in your area and don’t be afraid to travel. You will have more fun than you know and meet lots of cool people along the way. Taking pictures on the red carpet and meeting so many new people was amazing. I also want to thank everyone who spoke to me at the Bash and complimented me on my Blog. Your support means so much to me and thank you all for reading it. I was shocked and delighted at how many people I have reached and touched with my Blog. It is just going to keep getting bigger and better. Stu told me he was trying to make me happy and I told him I was very happy with the Bash. Good job Stu and see you in May. Stu be sure to bust out the suit for dinner in May please, you look sharp in it. Visit www.sandiegobbwbash.com for complete info on the 2013 Bash. Don’t miss the first annual Orange County BBW Bash. I hope to see you all there in May 2012. Visit www.orangecountybbwbash.com

                                                                   
DJ Skelly    
sat dj
DJ Skelly and his wife to be Smile
skelly
Packed Dance floor
 093a

MoMo Out!

PS: I can not believe I forgot to mention that Jonny T and Lyric Messenger performed their new LA Clippers anthem and a few other songs. I loved it when Jonny T ripped off his shirt and did a quick change. It was awesome. He is such a hottie. Lyric had all the women in a trance with his dreamy voice. I love their music and I am now a fan. http://www.planetswagger.com/
Me and Jonny T.







8 comments:

  1. Awesome review of the event. I wasn't there for the whole thing but your description makes me feel like I was. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonny T. I just added a big shout out to you on this Blog. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Your review was right on!!! I liked Thursdays DJ though. I agree %100 on Fridays party thing. Saturday's DJ is the best DJ, Skelly has a pation and such a broad knowledge of mainstream and more west coast music. I love the Tropical feel of the hotel, just to bad it was like a tropical storm during the bash. Hopefully I get to see you at the Vendor Fair in OC. Keep up the good work MoMo!!!!
    Love Mozelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mozelle, I will see you at the vendor fair in OC. I will be there for the whole bash. I am really looking forward to it. Come by my room for cocktail hour nightly.

      Delete
  3. Great review! I only liked the burlesque dancers on Friday night. The girl with the fans and the balloon girl were the best. Fun not sleazy! But there was a burlesque dancer on Saturday too you forgot to mention. She performed before the awesome rappers and after and both her numbers were good fun too! I also enjoyed the after parties both nights. I didn't eat the food on Saturday night because the RYC dinner was so horrible. I opted for something delicious instead. Good job on the honest review MoMo! Anxious to see how the OC bash turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry I missed most of her show but loved her lingerie.

      Delete
  4. Hi, I comented on an erlier post, don't really know how teese blog thing works, but i'm learning haha. made an account now btw, thought that would be good if i'm going to follow the blog.

    I thought your comparasion with the DJ and the AM radio was hillarious! such a perfect comparing, know exactly what you mean with thoose DJs haha :) Seemed to be a good choise of you to visit the bash, seemed to be fun, think this idea of having a bash is great for all bbw women and their friends and so on. seemed to be a perfect sort of "get together thing" never herd of it before.. :)

    fun and interesting post, like more of theese:)/S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve you should come to a bash sometime. They are lots of fun.

      Delete